The entertaining is easy. All a hostess has to serve are beer and munchies. A bit hit with the hockey fans was chili garlic peanuts.
I thought the garlic’s role was to impart its flavour to the peanuts and was going to throw the cloves into the garbage but, hey, wait a minute, the garlic looks just like oven-roasted garlic. I tasted one and it was just like roasted garlic.
I made roasted peanuts and discovered a quick and easy way to make roasted garlic. Then I let the garlic fry solo. The results were excellent.
3 bulbs of garlic
- Trim the root end of the garlic bulbs and separate the cloves but don’t peel them.
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan almost to smoking point and then turn the heat to low.
- Add the cloves of garlic with skin to the pan.
- Roll the cloves in the olive oil and cover the pan.
- Cook the garlic for about 5 minutes. The garlic skin should be lightly brown.
- Shake the pan and turn the cloves. Cover the pan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover, shake the pan and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring the cloves all the while.
- The garlic should be soft and smell wonderful. Remove the garlic ski. Use the whole cloves or mash the garlic with the flat side of a knife to make a paste.