I am always trying to come up with some fun and tasty appetizers. This past December I catered a neighbors Christmas party that was cocktails and appetizers. For those kinds of parties I try to serve appetizers that have more filling ingredients instead of just chips and dips. A perfect, fun and easy appetizer I came up with was Anitpasta Skewers. The skewers include all the fixins that are in a pasta salad; tortellini, cheese, salami, olives, tomatoes and the zesty vinegrette dressing as well. These skewers look great alligned on a circular platter.
* Makes 30 skewers
- 30 bamboo skewers (about 5 inches long)
- 30 mini mozerella cheese balls
- 30 grape tomatoes
- 30 pitted kalamata olives
- 30 cheese filled tortelinni
- large dried salami log – cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 TB. balsamic vinegar
- 2 TB. chopped fresh basil
- salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling. Add the tortellini. Cook until aldente. Rinse immediately under cold water. Set aside.
- To assemble the skewers slide the following ingredients onto the skewers: tortelinni, tomato, salami, kalamata olive and mozerella ball. Assemble all 30 skewers.
- Place skewers on a serving platter and place in fridge. When ready to serve drizzle with vinegrette.
To make vinegrette:
- Place balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking.
- Whisk in fresh basil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.