Beef Ragout and Spaghetti Squash
- 1/2-1 lb. ground sirloin
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 1 C. chopped onion
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 can (14 oz.) plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, juice reserved (I used 14 oz. can
- of already diced tomatoes)
- 1 lg. sweet red pepper, cut up
- 1 lg. zucchini, diced
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, cut in 1/4ths
- 1 T tomato paste (I used 8 oz. tom. sauce instead)
- 1/2 t. oregano
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- Brown beef in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Drain. Wipe out skillet and heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic in hot olive oil until softened.
- Stir in juice from tomatoes (may need to add a little water); cook 1 minute. Add beef
- and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes.
- You will need to start this first if you are serving with the Beef Ragout.
- Pierce the squash and place whole squash in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 20-30
- minutes. Remove from oven and slice squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Return to oven, cut side down (can wrap in foil) and continue to bake at 375 for another
- 30-40 minutes. Shred insides with fork and serve with the Beef Ragout. Top with
- grated Pecorino Romano.