This extremely versatile sauce is not only tasty, and suitable to freeze but with a few tweaks can be transformed in to many a tasty treats. The Bolognese Sauce is normally happily married off with spaghetti (Spaghetti Bolognese) however by following the tips below will add an *international twist to your dish and make this old faithful, well even more old faithful and yummy.
· Keeping it Italian to start with: By leaving the sauce a little bit watery will be the best base sauce for your Lasagne. Exchange the spaghetti for penne. The tube shaped pasta will add new texture and taste to the dish.
· For a North African twist: Exchange your pasta for couscous.
· For a Mexican twist: Add chopped chillies and kidney beans and then serve either with rice as a main dish, or as a snack serve as a dipping sauce with Nachos.
Bolognese Sauce – (Serves 4/6)
400/500grms Beef Mince
*1 pkt (500grm) pasta (cook according to instructions)
1 Can Chopped Tomatoes
1 large onion – finally chopped
1 chicken/vegetable/oxo cube
2/3 garlic cloves – chopped
2 tbsp fresh/dry herbs
2 dry bay leaves (if possible)
2 tbsp tomato pure’
2 tbsp wine (optional)
1tsp Worcester sauce (optional)
½ can of water
· Heat the oil in a large sauce pan.
· Add the garlic, onion, herbs, salt and wine, cook on a low heat for a few minutes.
· Add the mince and Worcester sauce, stir until mince is slightly brown.
· Add the tomato can, pure’ cube, bay leave and sugar, blend everything together, and then pour the water with the mixture, stirring continuously.
· Leave on a low heat until, slightly covered and mixing occasionally
· While the sauce is simmering, boil half a pot of water in a large pot, add a 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt (no pepper).
· When water is boiling well, add the desired pasta and cook according to instructions on the packet or according to own taste.
· When pasta is cooked al dente, drain water well.
· Plate the pasta first and then add the tomatoes sauce on top.
· Garnish with fresh parsley leave if desired.
* Swap pasta to either one of the alternative options. – Enjoy!!