Caldo Verde is one of the best known dishes in Portugal. It’s a great choice on a cold day or if you’re feeling a little “under the weather.” Caldo Verde is an extremely therapeutic mixture containing garlic, onions, chicken broth, and a lot of vitamin-packed and anti-oxidant rich kale.
Dutch Oven or large soup pot
1/2 pound chorizo or linguica sausage, chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, diced
1 tspn + 1 pinchsea salt
1 1/2 tspn pepper
2 tspn vinegar
4 cloves garlic
5 1/2 cups chicken broth (1 32oz. box)
1 bunch of kale or collard greens
5 medium red-skin potatoes, quatered
- Heat olive oil in pot over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and stir until it is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Remove sausage from pot and set it aside in a paper-towel lined bowl.
- Pour all but about a table spoon of the remaining oil from the sausage into another bowl and save for later.
- Add the onions to the pot over medium heat along with a pinch of sea salt and stir frequently until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes and increase heat to medium high.
- Put cover on pot and cook for about 7 minutes so that potatoes are soft.
- Mash about half of the potatoes against the bottom or sides of the pot and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut out and discard the tough center stems of the kale or collard greens. Dice up the leaves and add them to the pot along with the sausage.
- Stir and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoons of sea salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, and 2 teaspoons of vinegar to the pot and stir.
- Pour Caldo Verde into bowls and drizzle a little of the reserved oil from the sausage into the bowl before serving.
Related Articles / Posts:
Benefits of eating soup
Portugal [ print this recipe ]