Buongiorno miei amata amici! Parmigiano-Reggiano pollo farcito con spinaci is a savory chicken based dish with a Mozzarella and spinach filling and breaded in Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese. Topped with a Pomodoro sauce and more Mozzarella and often served on top of a swirl of pasta. Tonight I served it to my family with Quick Parmesan Sticks dipped in the extra Pomodoro sauce.
This is an excellent recipe to sneak spinach to your family without lamenting about how it gave Popeye the Sailor man muscles, thus they should eat it too. I attest to the fact I do not care for cooked spinach either. This is an exceptional method to get our vegetables in without gagging down cooked spinach.
- 4 ounces of Ricotta cheese or Cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces of Trader Joe’s Frozen Spinach, thawed (no pesticides)
- 2 cups of Low-Moisture, Part-Skim Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 8 Tablespoons of Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 4 Tablespoons of Italian Seasoning, or a mixture of Oregano, Thyme, and Basil
- 1 cup of bread crumbs or butter cracker (such as Ritz or Hi Ho) crumbs
- 1 egg
- 4-6 chicken breasts, flattened thin with a mallet
- 1 cup of Pomodoro sauce (Trader Joe’s brand or homemade)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C. Mix together the Ricotta or Cream cheese, spinach, 1/2 the Mozzarella, 1/2 Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan, and 1/2 the Italian seasoning. Spread spinach mixture on top of the thin chicken breasts, roll them up, dip them in the egg and a mixture of 1/2 the Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan, 1/2 Italian seasoning, and bread or cracker crumbs. Place on a lightly greased rimmed cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes. Top with Pomodoro sauce and a sprinkling of Mozzarella and put under broiler for a few minutes until golden.
~Photo above featuring plate by Corelle‘s Vive Line: Nouveau~