Scone, cheesecake and dark chocolate in one wonderful cute ball for only 100 calories!
Taste: 5 (out of 5)
Difficulty: 4 (out of 5)
For scone cake (2565 cal)
– 2 eggs (140 cal)
– 1 cup sugar (775 cal)
– 1 cup heavy cream (820 cal)
– 1/4 cup light sour cream (60 cal)
– 1 tsp vanilla extract (10 cal)
– 3/4 tsp salt
– 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (760 cal)
– 2 tsp baking powder
For cream cheese icing (1305 cal)
– 250 g / 1 package light cream cheese (665 cal)
– 1 cup light sour cream (240 cal)
– 1/2 cup sugar (390 cal)
– 1 tsp vanilla extract or orange extract (10 cal)
– 1 tsp finely grated orange zest (optional)
For chocolate coating
– 250 g / 1 bar dark chocolate (1200 cal)
Total: 5070 cal, 50 balls, 100 cal / ball
For the scone cake
1. Beat eggs until thick and lemon colored; gradually beat in sugar; then add all the liquid ingredients. Stir in sifted dry ingredients. Beat well. You will have a gooey, thick batter.
2. Grease and flour a 7’’x11’’ baking pan and spread the batter evenly. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
3. Let the cake cool in the baking pan for 5 minutes, then remove it from the pan and let rest on a cooling rack until completely cool.
4. In a large ball, crumble the cake with your fingers.
For the cream cheese icing
5. In a blender mix all the ingredients until incorporated and uniform.
6. Add the icing to cake crumbs and mix well.
7. Roll mixture into small balls (about 1 inch in diameter). You can use a small cookie scoop to measure if you like. This recipe gives about 50 balls.
8. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the cake balls on it. Chill the balls in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
9. Break the chocolate bar into small pieces (or use chocolate melts). Microwave the chocolate in 30 second segments, stirring after every segment, until all the chocolate is melted.
10. Using a fork, dip the chilled balls in melted chocolate, roll them around until coated, lift with the fork, let excess chocolate drip and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. When the chocolate on the ball is still warm, you can create some “artistic” effects with a fork, a toothpick or a brush.
11. Your chocolate will gradually harden from contact with the cold cake balls. You can either use small batches of chocolate, or simply re-melt the chocolate in microwave every time it stiffens.
12. When all the balls are coated and arranged on the cookie sheet, place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator to chill for about 20 minutes until the chocolate sets.
– YUM…. So moist and delicious, it tastes both like scones and like cheese cake, absolutely amazing with the dark chocolate.
– Crumbling the cake, rolling the balls and dipping in the chocolate can be a bit time consuming, but it can be a very fun “group” activity 🙂
– The scone cake is a very tasty way to use up whipping cream that is about to expire.