We all have our own favorite ways of using stale bread or extra bread in the freezer that needs to be used. I don’t like throwing it away. Most common ways I use them are; as crumbs for meatloaf or hamburgers or to make croutons. But sometimes it’s fun to step out of the box and do something different. Browsing pinterest gives you all kinds of ideas. A new favorite are these french toast roll ups and bread crumb cookies. I used strawberry jam for the roll ups but there are so many other ideas, my daughter said adding cream cheese would put them over the top. I will share two different ways that I tried..French Toast Roll-ups and Bread Crumb Cookies.
French Toast Roll Ups
- 8 slices soft sandwich bread..you can remove crusts but I left them on. I used white bread but you could just as easily use whole wheat bread.
- Strawberry jam
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Icing sugar
- Flatten bread slices with a rolling pin.
- Spoon strawberry jam along the edge of the bread and roll up.
- In a shallow bowl whisk together eggs and milk, dip rolled up bread rolls in the mixture.
- Over medium heat melt butter in a skillet, just enough to grease the pan. Add bread rolls and brown on all sides. Add more butter if needed.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon on a plate. Add hot rolls and coat them with the mixture.
- Place on serving plate and dust with icing sugar. Serve warm.
Bread Crumb Cookies..another delicious way I used up stale bread.
These cookies are delicious..we loved them! Pack a few in a bag, add a bow and share with someone. They will love you for it!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices bread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Toast bread lightly, break up into pieces. Using a food processor cut into slightly coarse crumbs, not too fine. Whisk crumbs into the flour mixture.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar, whisk in egg and vanilla.
- Add creamed mixture to dry and mix till well blended, stir in pepitas, sunflower seeds and chocolate chips.
- Roll into balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 minutes in 350º oven.
- Allow to cool on cooling rack.
- Yields: 2 dozen