The Romaine lettuce in our garden has thrived this year and we have really enjoyed grilling it when our coals are still hot from preparing the main course.
It takes only minutes and we wait until after we have had appetizers when we have guests before toasting the cut side of the romaine.
- 1/2 small head Romaine per person. If the heads of Romaine are very large, cut each half in half again to split between two people after grilling.
- olive oil
- Balsamic Glaze
- fresh lemon juice
- lemon zest
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cut Romaine in half and drizzle olive oil on the cut side.
- Put the cut side down over hot coals on the barbecue and grill just until the edge leaves begin to char. The inside will remain crisp.
- Drizzle with Balsamic Glaze. This is a reduced balsamic vinegar which you can make yourself by reducing balsamic vinegar or you can buy it. I find mine at local farm markets.
- Squeeze lemon juice over each half and finish with lemon zest and grated parmesan.