Hi , it’s just one week left before Halloween woohoo! Did you prepare anything for Halloween’s celebration yet? Yesterday I was in downtown and Wow! there were a lot of kids who had a Halloween and ghost makeup on.I saw one boy with a Mario’s dress, that’s cute! I guess maybe there was some kind of Halloween party at the school.
Anyway today I’m gonna be showing you how to make a spooky dessert for Halloween. I adapted the recipe from Thai dessert which is called “Bua Loy” or Thai dumplings in coconut cream. I just formed a dough dumpling into a skull shape and add red coloring agent in coconut cream. And this is a result! So let’s see how to make this creepy dessert.
Ingredients ( for 40-45 skulls / 3 persons)
1. 1/4 cup ( 60 mL) potato, peeled and chopped
2. 1/2 cup ( 125 mL ) glutinous rice flour
3. 2 tablespoons water
Eyes & nostrils parts
1. 2 tablespoons glutinous rice flour
2. 1/2 teaspoon red colouring agent
3. 1/2 teaspoon green colouring agent
4. 2 teaspoons water
1. 200 mL coconut milk
2. 3 tablespoons sugar
3. 1/4 teaspoon salt
4. 2 teaspoon red colouring agent.
1. Make a skull part by steam chopped potato with for around 10-15 minutes or until potato is tender. Let it cool down and mash the potato, set aside. Mix mashed potato with glutinous rice flour and water. Knead until the dough is smooth and soft.
2. Make eyes and nostril by mixing red and green colouring agent in a small cup, then add water and mix it well. Gradually add the mixture into glutinous rice flour, knead until you get the brownish dough.
3. Assembly to make a skull by forming a white dough into an oval shape. Then flatten the dough. After that make 3 small balls from white dough and put at the bottom of the oval-shape dough in order to make teeth part. Form 2 balls from the brown dough and put at the skull in order to make skull’s eyes. Last but not least ,form 2 very small balls from the brown dough and put it at the upper part of teeth in order to make nostrils( If you get a little bit confused , just check at the picture below). Once you are done. Boil the water in a medium heat in a saucepan ,then add “skulls” into boiled water. Once they are done, the skulls will be floated. Drain off the water.
*dust the place where you want to place skulls to prevent sticking
4. Make a blood by heating all blood ingredient except coloring agent on a stove with a low heat. Stir it until sugar and salt are dissolve. Remove from the heat and let the temperature cool down. Add red colouring agent and mix them well.
5. Put skulls in a serving cup and then pour the blood on top. And yes it’s done.
This recipe is not only spooky, it tastes really yummy also. If you have ability to form dough, there’s nothing hard in this recipe.
I hope you really like this recipe and once you try this, please let me know about your opinions, I would like to hear from you ;).
Happy Halloween everyone!