This recipe has been around for generations in Spain, little wonder it is still going strong as these croquettes are the best I’ve ever tasted. The trouble is they are soooooo delicious, they don’t stay on the plate for long! Enjoy
100g Serrano Ham
75g plain flour
75ml virgin olive oil
1 litre milk
Olive oil (for frying)
How to cook:
1. Chop the ham into small pieces
2. Warm the milk
3. In a frying pan, but not on the heat, mix the flour with the oil and very slowly add the warm milk stirring all the time.
4. Place the pan over a medium heat and add the ham, a pinch of salt and a pinch of nutmeg. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens and begins to come away from the edges of the pan.
5. Transfer the mixture into a square dish and leave to cool.
6. When the mixture is cool, cut into equal sized pieces.
7. Mould the pieces into oval shapes and dip each piece into the beaten eggs and then roll in the breadcrumbs.
8. Heat the olive oil in a pan (you need enough oil to cover the croquettes) and fry until golden brown.
Note: You can use a variety of fillings for example prawns, salmon, chicken, vegetables…….
Main meal: no