Serves 4 / Approximate preparation time 40 minutes
As of recent I have been trying to make more of my meals vegetarian. It has not been too difficult, but it has been a bit hard to be creative. I cannot say this recipe is all that creative. It is however, hearty, warm and perfect for this time of year. Added bonus it is super healthy and easy to make. Feel free to add more or less of vegetables you have on hand or like. A classic ragout has celery in the base, but I am not a huge fan so to each their own!
1 red pepper
1 medium sized carrot
100g of butternut squash
1 medium sized yellow onion
1 medium sized courgette or zucchini
2 cloves of grated garlic
1 tbsp of tomato paste
2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar or glaze
a handful of chopped, fresh parsley
2 tsp of dried oregano
1 can (400g) of tinned tomatoes
1 tsp of honey, maple syrup, agave nectar or brown sugar
approx. 200 ml of white wine
half a cube of vegetable stock
- Prepare all your vegetables by chopping them into small cubes (about 1 cm x 1 cm).
- Heat olive oil or butter a large pan or pot with a lid on a medium heat.
- Add all the vegetables into the heated pan and saute until the onions have browned and the vegetables softened slightly.
- Pour over the wine and sprinkle in the veg. stock cube, let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, dried oregano, sweetner, tomato paste and balsamic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with pan and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary then serve with pasta, potatoes, couscous, rice or even with a nice piece of bread. Sprinkle over the parsley. I topped mine with some feta but parmesan would work even better. Leave out the cheese for a completely vegan dish.