Low Fat Blueberry Scones….I came across this recipe (check out Mennonite Girls Can Cook blog) and immediately thought…Low Fat Scone?! I won’t feel too bad if I add some creme fraiche with a dollop of jam on these scones!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (I used a pinch)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon grated orange or lemon zest (I used orange)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt (I used 2% milk with juice of a 1/2 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract, optional
- 1 – 2 cups fresh blueberries*
*I used fresh-frozen… I bought them fresh and then froze them… they are a ton better than store-bought frozen, which I don’t recommend in this recipe as it makes the scones purple-ish.
3. Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl then add to the dry ingredients, stirring with a fork until all the mixture has been moistened. (I usually mix half way and then fold in the blueberries so that I don’t overwork the dough). Fold in the blueberries. The key is to not overwork the dough… just mix until it just comes together. Don’t feel the need to press and compact the dough…it will get tough!
4. Drop by large spoonfuls(I used a 1/4 cup measurement and formed them(lightly…don’t compact) into balls….be gentle with this kind of dough) onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp of the peel from the citrus you chose earlier.
- 3 Tbsp of lemon or orange juice( I used milk) .
- a drop of almond extract, optional.