Tapas are a national institution of Spain. Before lunch and dinner, the Spanish enjoy these delicious morsels of savory foods with chilled wine, beer or sherry.
Papas bravas are a classic! These spicy and hot fried potatoes are absolutely delicious and there is no need to go to Spain for them. Enjoy them anytime at home. They are so easy to make.
4 large Russet potatoes
Half an onion, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of Spanish paprika
Half a cup of tomato sauce
Half a cup of hot pepper paste
To make the Bravas sauce:
- In a saucepan, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft.
- Add the paprika, tomato sauce and hot pepper sauce. Mix everything together.
- Cook the sauce until it begins to boil.
- Set aside, reheat the sauce if necessary. Drizzle the hot sauce over the fried potatoes.
To cook the potatoes
- Steam or boil the potatoes until just cooked. Don’t overcook them.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into wedges.
- Heat a large frying pan or griddle (medium heat) and add some olive oil.
- Put the potatoes in the pan and roll them around to coat them with oil. Leave some space between the potatoes.
- Lower the heat to about 300 deg F. and let the potatoes cook slowly until a golden crust develops.
- Turn the potatoes and drizzle more oil over them so the potatoes are browned on all sides. The slower the cooking, the crunchier the potatoes.
- Put the potatoes in a serving plate, add salt and pepper to taste and drizzle the Bravas sauce and mayonnaise over them.