Parmesan Sesame Crackers….. One day I ran out of crackers and thought there must be a recipe for crackers that are easy to make and yet delicious. So I found a recipe for simple water crackers and adjusted it a bit to include some of my favorite toppings. This recipe makes wonderful crispy crackers that have so much flavor. Delicious and great! It is definitely a keeper! Hope you enjoy…
In the above photo, I did not sprinkle with cheese on top ( I forgot) and yet they still came out great:)
Note: Feel free to adjust amounts of some of the seeds/toppings/ flavorings… I’ve used chives, paprika, caraway… but flax, fennel seeds and other small seeds can be added.
These crackers are excellent served with salad, soup, cheese or spreads.
Ingredients: Makes about 4 dozen.
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 Egg white blended with 2 TBS water
- 6 TBS Sesame seeds
- 3 TBS poppy seeds
- 1 /3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease two 14×17-inch baking sheets. Combine flour, baking powder and salt, most of the seeds and cheese in large bowl. Sometimes I mix in all the parmesan and seeds into the dough. But you can reserve some as a topping.
2. Stir in water and oil, mixing until smooth dough forms. Halve dough.
3. Flatten 1 piece into large square directly on 1 prepared sheet. Cut into 2 3/4 x 3 1/4-inch pieces, leaving in place on baking sheet.
4. Pierce all over with fork. Brush generously with egg white mixture.
5. Sprinkle with extra cheese and seeds( if you didn’t use it all in the dough). Repeat with remaining half of dough. Bake until crackers are dry and golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Recut if necessary. Cool on racks.
6. Store crackers in airtight container.