HELLO COMFORT FOOD!
My favorite Lean Cuisine is Ranchero Braised Beef. I can eat that stuff like it is going out of style.
I borrowed my friend’s Rachael Ray cookbook, Love + Cook, and saw this recipe in it. I knew it had to be like my Ranchero Braised Beef. Guess what…IT WAS! I was in heaven. I ran out immediately and grabbed everything that was needed. This recipe did not disappoint. In fact, as I am typing this, I am getting a hankering for it!
Now, I will admit that it took a bit more time with a whole lot more steps than throwing it in a microwave, but it was so worth it. Skirt steak is partnered with an ancho pepper sauce and topped off with a side of sweet potatoes. YUM!
So, here we go!
3 lbs skirt steak
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 T. butter
1 large sweet onion, chopped sliced
2 dried ANCHO chili peppers, seeded and stemmed
1.5 cups chicken stock
1 T. tomato paste
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
Olive Oil, divided
2 slices bacon, finely chopped
Orange, zested and juiced
1 t. ground coriander
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. cinnamon
couple of dashes of hot sauce
1) Place sweet potatoes in a pot of boiling water which has been salted. Cover and allow to boil for approximately 20 minutes or until tender. Take meat out of refrigerator and set aside. Allow chill to dissipate.
2) In a second pan, melt butter add onions. Cook until soft and carmelized about 20 minutes.
3) In a 3rd pan, place ancho peppers and 1 cup chicken broth. Add water to cover peppers. Bring to a boil and add tomato paste. Reduce and simmer to about half.
4) Place anchos and onions in a food processor or blender. Add Worcestershire sauce. Process until smooth. With the blender/processor on, add a steady stream of olive oil. Add salt/pepper to taste and set aside.
5) Season the meat with salt/pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Grill for 6 minutes each side. Place in a warm oven to keep hot.
6) Heat olive oil in a 4th pan and cook bacon just until it begins to crisp.
7) Drain sweet potatoes. Add the orange zest, juice and bacon. Mash to desired consistency adding up to 1/2 cup of the broth. Season with the seasonings and hot sauce.
8) Remove steak from oven and thinly slice. Place steak on plates and top with the ancho pepper sauce. Add a side of the potatoes. I also partnered with thin cut green beans.