We think of pasta quite often as an indulgence but in our home it is as important as bread. Rather than always staying away from richer sauces we practice portion control and fill our plates with a large green salad which has a sprinkling of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
I always keep some frozen peeled shrimp in the freezer for days when dinner needs to be done in a hurry. There is no need to defrost the shrimp and the whole meal can be on the table quicker than running for fast food. This is almost a non recipe. . .I had to think and pay attention to what I normally put in it . . the flavours naturally work well together.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic . .minced
- 3 -4 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 3 cups precooked frozen medium shrimp
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 pound fettuccine ( I prefer fresh but dry is fine too)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 fresh chopped basil
- paprika for garnish
- Put on a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. .and add a few teaspoons of salt. Cook the fettuccine once the water is boiling. Adjust for longer time if you are using dry. If you are using fresh pasta . .add the pasta after the sauce has simmered 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and add the onion and mushrooms and garlic. Cook until softened and until the juices are released.
- Stir in the cream and the seasonings.
- Turn down the heat to a low simmer and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and bring back to simmer and heat through.
- Add the basil to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Put the pasta on a platter.
- Pour the sauce over the top and sprinkle with the the grated Parmesan and give it a sprinkle of Paprika.
Serves 4 with a large green salad.