Since spinach is so good for the health, I thought I would get extra benefit by pairing spinach with spinach noodles.
Then the spinach is tossed with noodles. It is so easy it can be made in one pot. The longest prep time is to wash the spinach which is usually quite gritty. The dish can be prepared in about ten minutes.
Ingredients: For 2
One bunch of spinach, washed, stems removed (pinch the stems to separate them from the leaves). I chose the young leaves.
One or two bundles of spinach noodles
One teaspoon of fried garlic
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
3 tablespoons of sesame oil
Hot pepper flakes (optional)
Garnish: sesame seeds
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the noodles and cook till al dente.
- Put the spinach in the pot with the noodles.
- Press the leaves into the pot.
- Drain the water.
- Pour the dressing into the pot of noodles.
- Stir to mix. Add more sesame oil if necessary.
- Dish up. Garnish with sesame seeds.
What did I do with the spinach stems ? I blanched and chopped them and put them in a meat loaf. This is cat food. My cats eat homemade, human grade food. They are picky eaters. If they don’t like it, we’ll have it.
Here is the recipe for cat meat loaf: chopped spinach, 4 cloves of garlic, minced, 2 pieces of Weetabix cereal, ground meat, bits of cheese. Mash the Weetabix with the spinach – the juice softens the cereal. Mix everything together and bake for 45 mins at 350deg F.