The base of so many French and Italian dishes, home made made white sauce is so much better than anything you could ever buy! We strongly encourage you try this simple recipe and let us know about the results! Use it for Italian lasagne, French crepes or add it to your own signature dishes!
We looked around and can’t say for sure whether white sauce (or besciamella) is of Italian or French origins, although we’re inclined to say French. It is certainly well known and loved in Italy, especially as it is one of the basic ingredients of lasagne! Once again, we strongly encourage you try this at home and feel the satisfaction of making your own, delicious white sauce! If you’re the lucky owner of a Thermomix, it is going to be too easy!!
Ingredients (makes about 1 litre)
– 1 litre of milk (full cream)
– 100 gr of unsalted butter
– 100 gr plain flour
– a pinch of salt
– nutmeg to taste
1. On a low flame, start heating the milk.
2. In a different, bigger saucepan, melt the butter on a low flame. When melted, turn the heat off and add the sift flour while stirring with a whisk to avoid making lumps. Turn the heat back on and keep stirring until the flour goes golden. What you obtained from this passage is called roux in French.
3. Add the nutmeg to the milk, the start slowly pouring the milk in the roux while whisking. Keep cooking for 5 minutes and then it’s done!
If you are going to use your white sauce for lasagne or cannelloni, you should make sure it doesn’t boil for too long because you need to keep it a little runny. If, on the other hand, you need to be thicker, cook it for a little longer. Also, adding more or less flour and butter will result in different levels of thickness.
Match it with
Great on steak, potatoes, lasagne, broccoli… it pretty much goes with everything!